So in light of what is happening in the world, I’ve decided to start writing again. I was sat on the couch yesterday, looking through amazon for a “hobby” I’m really not that creative, I hate mess (although please don’t look in my living room right now), I was always shit at knitting as a kid. So this morning it dawned on me, I could go back to the blog. Are written blogs a thing of the past now? Is it all vlogs? To be honest I don’t care , I need something to stop me watching programmes like “Love is Blind” on Netflix. You see, here in Dubai the schools have closed down until April 5th. So here I am in uncharted territory of homeschooling, no job (I’m a shadow teacher) and trying to keep a low profile due to the Covid-19 virus .
I’ve actually seriously considered offering to buy my sons teacher a brand new car if he comes to our house for the next 4 weeks as I’m seriously loosing my freaking mind trying to get him to do reading comprehension. Pulling teeth would be easier and probably a lot more fun. While people have gone mad stock piling I have made sure I’ve enough prosecco and Brew dog in my fridge for the purpose of homeschooling. I do take my hat off to those parents who do this on a full time basis, I find it’s extremely hard to get motivated when the couch is calling you. I taken to having “homeschool naps” most afternoons which in turn keep me up late, going back to work is going to be hard.
All jokes aside though, we have to just accept the situation for what it is, there’s no point being angry, upset (yesterday this was me when my beloved gym closed) it’s a situation we’re all dealing with, some at different extremes than others too. So what are you doing to cope?
besides copious amounts of alcohol.
- Being organised, plan what you will do with the children, even if it doesn’t go accordingly and lets face it, it probably won’t, you’ll feel better for planning.
- Walk everyday, I’m dragging them out kicking at at screaming every morning
and thats just the dog,as far as I know fresh air hasn’t killed anyone yet.
- Exercise, yes easier said than done, however most people are home schooling, so don’t just bark orders at the kids during a PE session, do it yourself, there are plenty of family HIIT sessions on You tube
- Chores, get these kids learning life skills, fold the washing, wash the dishes, ok maybe not polishing Grandma’s antique tea set but you know what I mean
- Tackle that To Do thats been getting bigger everyday
- Screen time, ok controversial I know but why be a martyr, they can have it everyday but just limit it. Mine are having to earn it.
- Have a supply of paper, I’d love to be arts and crafts Mammy but even writing it makes me want to be sick in my mouth. So we draw and paint, thats my limit!
You can find loads of useful thing on the internet, simple but fun. We experimented making rainbows with Skittles and water. Things don’t have to cost a fortune.