School

Choosing the right school is so stressful, it’s giving me sleepless nights. I should actually be in bed now but I’ve decided it blog about my worries rather than just laying there with them playing on repeat through my head, this is until Miss C wakes up for one of her twilight play times.

Here in Dubai choosing a school from the hundreds available to you doesn’t stop the stress, it’s part of it, a MAJOR part of it. Not only does it cost you around £100 each time you register with a school, it doesn’t mean that they’ll even consider your child for an assessment. Your stuck between a rock and a hard place, do you register your child in as many as you can after you’ve sold one of your vital organs to pay for it, or do just pick one or two and pray that someone upstairs is shinning down on you.

So what happens when your child gets the assessment but fails it? As this place *Dubai* has extremely high standards for 4yr olds, apparently. Then there’s the cost you have to consider, obviously the better the school the more 0’s the price tag has. You’d never put a price on your child’s education but where do you draw the line. All I know is that I want LPV to have such an amazing experience at school, I loved school right up until I went to secondary school, I hated EVERY minute of secondary school!

LPV is in a nursery school at present, a long established one with a fantastic reputation, he’s happy even after only being there for 3 weeks! However I feel like there’s so much pressure on him and me already to be performing at school. Letters and numbers do not bother me in the slightest, he’s good. It’s his social skills and some physical skills that I’m worried about especially after reading an assessment questionnaire from one of our school choices.

He’s only 3 and yeah, he struggles to dress himself but we’re working on it. Like we’re working on him holding a pencil properly, I lay awake a night because he “can’t hold scissors properly”. How can you refuse to educate a child because they can’t hop yet. What are they teaching them if they expect them to already have perfect pencil control, or do a triple back flip in gym class.
I’m not saying that the school would refuse them but if your asking these questions if the child can’t do them surely that’s a black mark?
I really don’t want to be on his case these young years should really just be about play, he loves to play and if they could listen to him they’d snap him up!

This post is not supposed to bash any Dubai schools, just a mammy getting her worries out her head on to digital paper, so she may finally get some sleep!

Please send us good vibes that we get an assessment for our first choice and he passes with flying colours!!!!

Anyway here’s a few photos of us practicing and having fun learning new skills

20131023-225255.jpg

20131023-225311.jpg

20131023-225324.jpg

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “School

1. L Hunt says:

Sending you lots and lots of good school vibes and I’m sure a few sleep vibes wouldn’t hurt either. Best of luck. It is tough out there. Hang in there. LPV will be fantastic!

• Expat Mammy says:

Ooh the sleep vibes will come in very handy! I’m just praying the school we chose will asses him and look at the big picture. A year is such a huge length of time in a child’s development.x

2. Notmyyearoff says:

Good luck! I hope you find an amazing school for him and one that’s really supportive of whatever he happens to need and want. I know how different it is there from a friend that’s already there and from another who’s moving to Abu Dhabi imminently. It’s so good in some ways and has some interesting challenges in others.

3. Mummy Glitzer says:

I have to confess I have found choosing schools easy. Simply because we don’t have a car and I am so limited in how far I can walk. I am not sure I am altogether happy with the decision we have made (certainly it isn’t the best school on paper) but he is at the nursery already, is making friends and I can walk there. The Dhabi situation sounds a million times more stressful!

• Expat Mammy says:

Sometimes I think you can get swept away in league tables and ofstead reports. The school has a lot to do with it but I think a child’s “performance” at school is also a lot to do with how much their parents take an interest. I know for a fact H has nothing to worry about in that area so he’ll be amazing regardless of what the school looks like on paper.xx

• freebutfun says:

What a lucky boy, he has wonderful parents 🙂 and I agree, school makes a difference but surely parents/support matter more! Also, children are amazing at adapting.

4. freebutfun says:

Wow, that would be stressful! I find it sad that already 3 years old are assessed based on skill – I mean at that age the natural variation in what skills they master is still huge. If I’d be there, I’d look around for a Montessori school 😉 Good luck to you, I hope you’ll find the perfect place for him where he is accepted and educated on his own level!

5. Mummy Wife Woman says:

Best of luck on the search for a school. Im actually really shocked by what youve written and whats expected at such a young age. there is no wonder you arent sleeping! got everything crossed for you that you get the school you want! 🙂

6. Jessabella says:

Hi there, Ive nominated you for a “Sunshine Award”:http://merlioninholland.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/sunshine-award-nomination/
    The rules are that you should answer my questions and then pass the award along to 10 (or however many) bloggers who have not already received it, with a link to my blog (for nominating you) and a link to their blogs, and 10 questions for your nominees to answer, and include the ‘Sunshine Award’ icon in the post.hope to see your post soon! 🙂

7. mumof4 says:

Don’t sweat it too much (easy to say from here)… we moved a lot when my kids were toddlers and in one way being ‘new’ to an area stopped me knowing TOO MUCH about the best schools etc. The pre-school age has changed so much in the last 20 years – before 4 year old were expected to play with a bit of scribble scrabble here and there – nowadays it is far more academic and alphabets are learnt earlier and fine motor skills are discussed…It’s easy (especially with boys – I have 3) to feel you aren’t up to scratch…..that the 4 year old girls can colour in neat masterpieces and your kids, well, just scribble….. don’t dwell too much on them meeting the mark. If the school is going to be that picky and expect so much from a young child, it’s not necessarily the best fit…and do you want such stresses for your kid/your family life? Sorry if that is a lecture. We all do the best for our kids I know but they have to be happy and safe more than anything at this stage and some pre-schools (over here at least) just take it all way too seriously. xx