Too posh my arse!!!

I have to say before I start, this post has been inspired by catparrot over at yellowdays and an article I read on Sky news. I was chatting to my buddy S who is 15 weeks pregnant about the very topic below and both of us agreed that we would not rule out a section!!

So should we give women a right to choose a C-section over a “Natural” birth. Having been told by my parents that babies came from Tesco you can imagine my shock when I found out they didn’t.

My arse!!!

I opted for a C Section myself. I do have to say I really don’t seeing anything natural about pushing a water melon through a grape!!!.  In reality I opted, sorry we opted for the section after 10 hours of labour and not even being 1cm dilated, I was hooked up to 4 infusions due to gestational diabetes, premature rupture of membranes, epidural and induction. I was bed bound, worried sick that my baby was 5 weeks early and that something awful would happen to him like meconium aspiration. So I opted for what I thought was the safest birth, not the easy way out as some people like to say. There is nothing easy about the pain after a section sneezing & coughing which would have me physically crying in pain. I opted for it as the safest option, because I was in a position where I could. I think there is a lot to be said about paying for healthcare and having that option, however that is another issue. I feel the same as the rather scary lady on the Sky news video, if maternity services were improved then people would not feel that major surgery is the safest option. I for one wouldn’t want to have a child in the UK, sorry if this offends but it’s the way I feel. It’s no reflection on Nurses, midwives OBGYN’s it’s a reflection on services offered, having worked for the NHS for over 8 years I am aware of what it’s like with budget cuts etc.

I believe women should have the right to choose, it’s not about being to posh to push, or being like celebrities. It does piss me off to hear women who have had natural births condemning women who go for the section option, good for you if you did it the natural way, without drugs or your baby floated out with butterflies around it, that’s your choice. There are some women that are too posh, these are the women that I see most days here, the women who can’t be bothered to push their own child in the pram, they have a maid , a nanny a driver & probably someone to pee for them too.  There will always be someone who doesn’t agree with your beliefs, decisions and opinions but for something so personal as child-birth you have to do what’s right for you and your wee family.

Surely this is the way we'd all prefer??????

9 thoughts on “Too posh my arse!!!

1. deskmonkeymummy says:

I agree you do have to do what’s right for you and your family. I’m also a natural birth type person BUT I do believe that the reason for opting for major surgery should be explored to rule out fear or “Too posh to push” syndrome before sectioning.
    I get that some women do not want to birth vaginally and they should be supported in that choice. However, I have to say that my first birth would have been a section should this have been an option then through a paralysing fear of trying to force a baby out of me. I’m glad it wasn’t an option as I went on to have great birth experiences.

The moral is choose wisely and make whatever you choose supportive and without fear.

2. jbmumofone says:

Excellent post. This is really an interesting issue, but as said to Cat at Yellow Days am not sure how I feel as yet as own birth trauma still a bit raw to comment rationally. Really great to hear some other viewpoints though x

• Expat Mammy says:

I thinkl it makes the world more interesting when we all have different views & opinions but as you say it’s always interesting to hear others

3. catparrott says:

I wonder if we might not all be happier if we saw birth as a means to an end rather than putting so much importance on the experience itself. Might take the pressure off a bit.

4. Laura says:

Interesting post and I do agree. Just because this new guideline will mean women will be able to choose whether or not to have a C-section, it doesn’t necessarily mean that all women will opt for one from now on. But, birth is not a ‘one size fits all’ experience and many women can have difficult labours. I think the important thing is for mums-to-be to have all the info about risks/benefits etc. so that they can make a fully informed decision and choose the option that is best for them and their baby (and also be supported in that choice by midwives and doctors).

I must also just state, in the interests of transparency, that I work for NICE (the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) who is issuing this guideline but I have have been on maternity leave so have not been involved in the production of this guideline whatsoever. My comment reflects my own personal opinion on the subject and does not reflect the view of NICE in any way..

5. Sarah says:

Well written Tracy!

I wish I was told more of the things that could actually happen during ‘natural’ birth. I never prepared myself for a dislocated coccyx and not being able to sit for 6 weeks! amounst other things. I was told a C section hurts for longer due to stitched etc but from natural birth I was in pain for months!

I’m really on the fence with baby #2 as I don’t want to go through that again, but nor do I want the long recovery from a C-section. Epidural and spinal block didn’t work on me so I’d be out cold during a c-section.

I might pre order the Stork to Deliver the next baby to me! The picture looks that way look a lot easier!